How to get involved in collecting scrap metal
Sooner or later, everything ends up as scrap. When products made of metal have reached the end of their useful life they are taken to a dealer in scrap metal in Hartford CT. The person who collects the scrap is an important part of the supply chain.
If you want to begin starting collecting scrap metal for sale, there are some benefits.
* You can work full time or part time
* You are self employed
* Regardless of the economy there will always be a demand for scrap metal in Hartford CT
* Low start up costs
There are some important steps you have to take to be successful:
* Learn to identify the various scrap metals. There are both ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Ferrous metals are magnetic as they contain iron. Ferrous metal is usually what is found in junk machinery, car engines, home appliances, etc. Non-ferrous metal is non magnetic and includes copper, brass, aluminum and magnesium. These metals are usually found in electrical wire, plumbing fixtures, aluminum siding and garden furniture.
* Visit the local dealers in scrap metal in Hartford CT, get to know the personnel. The more you know about them, the more you know their pros and cons. There may be dealers that give higher prices for non-ferrous for example because that is what they specialize in. Some of the larger yards may not want to deal with small collectors, these and other things you can find out during a visit.
* Get to understand the pricing structure of scrap metal in Hartford CT. Usually non-ferrous metals command a higher price as they are more scarce. The prices change daily all based on supply and demand. You can keep up to date on scrap metal prices on a number of internet web sites that post this information.
* Get a vehicle. Usually scrap metal collectors start with a pick-up truck or a trailer that they tow behind their car. As you begin to grow, your vehicle needs will grow with you. Consider tubs or containers of some sort to allow for metal segregation as it is collected, this will allow you to go straight to the scrap yard when your load is complete.
* You will be around metal which has sharp edges and is rusty and corroded. This metal can pose a hazard to your health so make sure you are well protected with the proper gloves, safety glasses, safety shoes and carry a first aid kit in your truck.
* Get the tools of the trade which are very simple. A magnet and a grinder are important to identify the type of metal. Hammers and wire cutters and pry bars are about all a beginner needs.
* Develop a route. Include small businesses, auto repair shops, plumbing businesses etc. They will not want to dispose of the scrap metal in Hartford CT themselves, they will be happy to sell it to you for a small price and you pass it on at a profit.
Just remember, never take what you think is scrap if it is on private property. Ask first. There may also be regulations such as scrap theft alerts that you will have to abide by.
As you collect your treasures, you can sell your days haul at a dealer of scrap metal in Hartford CT. Calamari Recycling Co., Inc has been in business since 1935 and has built a reputation of fairness and good business practices.