The Differences between a Homebuyer’s and Buildings Survey

When you’re searching for a surveyor in Gloucester, the first thing you have to decide is which type of survey you need. Some surveyors specialise in certain types of surveys, while others cover everything. There are two main types of surveys in the UK and those are Homebuyer’s and Buildings (often called full building surveys). If you’re unsure what the differences are between them, below you’ll find out more about each one.

Understanding a homebuyer’s survey

The homebuyer’s survey is the most popular service carried out. This is largely because it’s the cheapest and it is potential home owners that require the survey. Many surveyors combine a survey and valuation. If you’re buying a house and you’ve received a valuation from the seller, you may want to get it double checked. They could have falsified the report for all you know. Hiring your own surveyor will give you some form of protection and ensure you’re paying a fair price.

The property has to be in relatively good condition and not be any older than around 30 years. If you’re looking into buying an older property, a building survey would be the better choice.

Any professional surveyor in Gloucester will take a look at the following:

  • Any urgent issues that will require work before you sign a contract
  • The walls for any sign of damp
  • Property value on the current market
  • The cost to rebuild the home in case of a fire
  • Condition of any current insulation and damp proof measures

Understanding a building survey

The building survey is a lot more detailed and therefore it’s a lot more expensive. It’s mainly beneficial for properties that are older than 30 years. However, it can also be used to look deeper into a property if you’re thinking of buying a house. The surveyor will look into absolutely everything. Damage to timbers, windows and doors, the roof, the actual structure of the home and the materials that were used to build the home will all be looked into.

They may even suggest further specialist inspections if any problems are found. Getting a buildings survey will ensure you know absolutely everything there is to know before you go ahead with the sale. Make sure you choose the best surveyor in Gloucester to carry out your inspection. Click here to know more.


Rob White Associates

The Triangle Longlevens,
Gloucester, (UK), GL2 0NE.
01454 311 426
Follow Us:


Share This Post On