When Couples May Need Marriage Counseling in Wichita, KS
Marriage rates are declining, and over half of all first marriages end in divorce. The actual divorce rate varies according to the religious beliefs and educational levels of both partners, among other factors. When divorce occurs, it causes problems for children and adults alike. The decision to end a marriage is often met with feelings of anger, uncertainty and abandonment; while it may be necessary in some cases, others may want to save their marriages. Below are a few reasons why couples seek Adult Child & Family Counseling.
* An inability to communicate positively: When communication breaks down, it can be hard to get it back on track. Negative communication leaves one or both partners feeling disregarded, insecure and wanting to leave, and it also includes conversations that lead to emotional and mental abuse.
* When infidelity has occurred: It isn’t impossible to recover from an affair, but it takes tremendous work on the part of both parties. There’s no sure way to do it, but if both members of the couple are committed, marriages can be saved. In some cases, Marriage Counseling in Wichita, KS helps couples determine that it’s best if they go their separate ways.
* When the couple feels more like room-mates than partners. If there’s a lack of intimacy and communication and people are just coexisting, a therapist may help couples find out what’s missing in their marriage and how to recover it.
* When a partner begins to act out their negative feelings: What we feel on the inside often manifests itself on the outside. Even if a person can hide their feelings for a time, they will surface eventually. Resentment and disappointment can turn into harmful behavior, which can further strain a fragile marriage. A skilled therapist can help people figure out their negative feelings and express them more effectively.
* When people stay together “for the kids”. If a couple decides on this course of action, it may help to get the opinion of an unbiased third party. Sometimes, staying together for the children isn’t the best step, and a separation may be better for everyone involved.
Not every marriage is salvageable, and in the counseling process, some couples may find that they are better off apart. However, if a marriage can be saved, and if both members of the couple are committed, Marriage Counseling in Wichita, KS can help them remember why they got married.