Home Renovation: How Long Does it Take?
An average home renovation project takes about four to eight months, depending on the scope of the job. If you are doing a full renovation, then you may need to allocate approximately six to eight months on your project. It may take even longer if you are adding a large space with detail architectural design. But if you are only doing minor cosmetic changes, like repainting the walls or refinishing the cabinets, then the project could take just a few weeks or months.
How Long Does Each Room Renovation Take?
Here is a rough estimate of how long each room’s renovation can take.
- Adding a room can take six to 16 weeks.
- A kitchen renovation can take three to 12 weeks.
- A bathroom renovation can take three weeks or more.
- Basement finish can take three weeks or more.
- A deck renovation can take one week or more.
- Replacing the roof can take about two days.
This home renovation activity timeline overview can help you get a sense of what you’re in for when remodeling your home in Toronto.
- Have a plan. You need to have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish based on a set budget.
- Hire a contractor you can trust and who has already established a good reputation in the type of project you’re undertaking.
- Sign a contract, which should contain everything about the job, including schedules, payment, duration of the project, materials to be used, project description, and change order procedures.
- Get a permit and prepare the site before the work starts.
- Anything being replaced, such as old cabinets, countertops, and bathtubs, should be ripped out.
- Add the foundations or footings of the additional rooms in your home.
- Plumbers and electricians will work on installing new pipes or cables for new fixtures.
- The walls should be adequately covered once the outer walls have been insulated, and the installed mechanicals all passed inspection.
- Have the trim, flooring, and wall tiles installed.
And when you’re finally satisfied with all the changes in your home, it’s now time to add the finishing touches, such as the wallpaper, light switch covers, and faucets.